You are here
Intelligent transport in Flanders
True innovation in intelligent transportation requires a holistic approach that depends on ICT strengths, excellent infrastructure, niche expertise and more. Find out more about the region’s powerful assets relevant to intelligent transport:
Every resource your intelligent transportation business needs to take off is found right here in Flanders, from universities, knowledge bases and research centers to leading industry players.
Intelligent transport is quickly becoming a key tech advancement that doesn’t just streamline traffic; it saves lives, reduces pollution and provides the foundation for a sustainable future. Here in Flanders, you’ll find a wide range of stakeholders – including cities, companies, knowledge centers and more – offering the diverse and crucial strengths required for end-to-end intelligent transport success. Key sectors include:
KU Leuven: worldwide exemplar in e-mobility
When it comes to research, education, spin-offs, collaboration and tech transfer in the field of intelligent transport, KU Leuven is an international frontrunner. Innovating with institutes like Flanders Make as well as other universities in Flanders such as VUB and UGent, KU Leuven has proven expertise in power electronics, mechatronic systems modeling, motor control strategies, electromagnetic actuation, tribology, mechanical and electric energy storage, clean powertrain tech, clean fuels and alternative drive technology.
Every one of Flanders’ 5 universities provide targeted coursework as well as bachelor’s and master’s degrees in fields closely related to intelligent transport, such as energy, transportation sciences, logistics, urban planning, computer science and civil engineering.
Companies setting up or managing their activities or headquarters in Flanders can reap the rewards of:
- various government grants and subsidies for transformation, ecological, R&D and growth investments;
- unique tax incentives for various types of business activities and investments;
- a set of employment subsidies to further reduce your salary costs as well as fiscal remuneration advantages;
- a number of funding options to help you get off the ground.
Flanders offers incentives that are relevant to research-intensive domains. Examples include:
- investment deduction for R&D – 13.5% of acquisition value/qualifying asset or 20.5% of the depreciated amount;
- exemption of payment of 80% – of the personal income withholding tax of researchers in certain scientific fields;
- innovation income deduction – up to 85% of a firm’s net earnings from innovation is tax exempt.