Discover all R&D tax incentives in Flanders.
You are here
Energy storage in Flanders
The pillars of energy storage success
Energy storage is a key end component of the sustainable energy puzzle. Flanders is home to every link in the value chain of sustainable energy, making it the ideal foundation for your energy storage company:
Numerous partners for energy storage development
Home to ground-breaking strategic research centers, focused research groups, leading industry players, academic curricula and more, Flanders makes it easy for your energy storage initiative to thrive.
Strategic research centers
Flanders’ strategic research center for digital and nanotech, imec, is dedicated to innovating across a wide range of industries relevant to smart energy and energy storage, including smart grids, energy generation, nanomaterials and more. It supports entrepreneurship by offering training, financing, state-of-the-art facilities and networking opportunities related to:
- energy storage materials and architectures;
- solid-state batteries;
- smart energy usage;
- and more.
Flanders Make is Flanders’ strategic research center for innovation in manufacturing and industrial sectors. Closely associated with the region’s 5 universities, it enables the advent of intelligent systems by focusing its research on:
- next-generation energy storage technologies;
- smart monitoring devices and systems;
- agile and human-centered production and robotics systems;
- and more.
VITO – one of the largest multidisciplinary research centers in the world – is involved in tech research that covers cleantech, materials innovation, environmental and process technology, smart grids and more. It actively develops new solutions in the areas of:
- land use.
Incubators supporting energy storage innovation
There are a number of incubators responsible for assisting ICT-focused smart technology start-ups in Flanders, providing them with affordable office space, administrative services and even development tools:
- GreenVille – an all-inclusive service center for green businesses.
Flanders is home to research groups and knowledge centers that revolve around energy generation and storage technologies, materials development, chemistry and ICT innovation. To highlight just a few:
- WAVES (UGent) – The Wireless, Acoustics, Environment & Expert Systems group performs cutting-edge research in wireless communication, smart technologies, energy and more.
- SET (UGent) – Sustainable Energy Technologies investigates sustainable energy solutions across multiple fields, from wind energy, blue energy and energy efficiency.
- Energy Law (UGent) – This research team investigates and develops law regulating human production and use of energy.
- Energy Materials and Interfaces (UHasselt) – This research group aims to gain new insights into the mechanics supporting electrochemical interfaces in energy applications.
- Battery Innovation Center (VUB) – This research center offers state-of-the-art facilities and R&D in energy storage systems.
Other key organizations
These groups, coalitions and organizations help foster promising innovation and encourage knowledge-sharing and collaboration in technology areas related to energy storage:
- Flux50 – As Flanders’ spearhead cluster for energy, Flux50 facilitates collaboration between energy, IT and building companies. The aim is to enhance the competitiveness of Flanders’ smart energy industry in its transition toward low carbon systems. In doing so, Flux50 is a membership organization that unites relevant industry, academic and government players, providing them with project support, networking opportunities and a platform for knowledge sharing.
- Smart Grids Flanders – This knowledge platform unites businesses, universities and research institutions to enable the smart grids and smart energy meters of tomorrow.
- EnergyVille – An association of research institutes including KU Leuven, VITO, imec and UHasselt, EnergyVille conducts innovative energy research in smart cities, electrical systems, energy storage and more.
- WaterstofNet – Develops sustainable hydrogen energy storage solutions with the help of industry players and public authorities.
- FCA – The Flanders Cleantech Association gathers public, private and academic industry players in the industry and fosters networking, investments and projects.
- Sirris – A research group, network driver and incubator, Sirris investigates applications of materials in sustainability.
- Agoria – An innovation-focused association that provides business development services to entrepreneurs in a wide range of tech fields.
Access to smart financing
Companies setting up or managing their activities or headquarters in Flanders can reap the rewards of:
- various government grants and subsidies for transformation, ecological, R&D and growth investments;
- unique tax incentives for various types of business activities and investments;
- a set of employment subsidies to further reduce your salary costs as well as fiscal remuneration advantages;
- a number of funding options to help you get off the ground.
Flanders offers incentives to companies engaging in intensive research and development activities. Examples include:
- innovation income deduction – up to 85% of a firm’s net earnings from innovation is tax exempt;
- investment deduction for R&D – 13.5% of acquisition value/qualifying asset or 20.5% of the depreciated amount;
- exemption of payment of 80% – of the personal income withholding tax of researchers in certain scientific fields.
News & Stories
Interested in doing business in Flanders?
Let us help you!
- We can introduce you to other companies, banks and regulators
- We organize site visits to real estate locations
- We assist with all legal aspects of setting up a business
- We're an official government agency
- Our services are completely free
- We are a team of international experts
Receive our handbook to growing your business in Flanders
- It's completely free.
- Get an overview of all incentives relevant to your company.
- Tax system explained in-depth.
- Learn how to set up your business quickly.
- Discover the benefits of Flanders (in addition to the chocolate).