You are here
Flanders’ ecosystem for cloud computing
Imec, Flanders’ strategic research center for digital and nanotech, is dedicated to innovating across a wide range of ICT-centered industries relevant to network modeling, innovation and development. It supports entrepreneurship by offering training, financing, state-of-the-art facilities and networking opportunities related to:
- wireless communication and network development;
- CMOS development and scaling;
- the Internet of Things;
- data processing and encryption;
- and more.
There are a number of incubators responsible for helping ICT and cloud computing newcomers thrive in Flanders, providing them with affordable office space, administrative services and even development infrastructure:
- iCubes & Startup Garage (Ghent) – Provides office space and ready-to-use ICT infrastructure to start-ups in ICT areas.
- Corda (Hasselt) – Space, events, workshops, this extensive tech campus fosters fruitful relationships and knowledge sharing between tech companies.
- Startit@KBC – Provides workspace, training and advice to ICT entrepreneurs in sustainable growth.
- Flanders Smart Hub – A network of tech clusters that offers incubation to start-ups and established companies in many fields of digital technologies.
- Darwin Incubator – provides office space, laboratory infrastructure and expertise to entrepreneurs offering innovative solutions in information systems, tech sciences and more.
- StartupVillage – With StartupVillage, Antwerp provides affordable office space for innovative start-ups. This, in the city center near Antwerp’s main incubators and other start-up initiatives. In addition to the BlueHealth Innovation Center and a base of the imec research center for nano- and digital technology, StartupVillage is also home to CoFoundry – an incubator of the Cronos Groups that helps start-ups with a minimum viable product find growth financing. What’s more, accelerator Netwerk Ondernemen offers promising growth companies networking opportunities and access to specific expertise through its extensive network of company leaders.
Flanders is home to research groups and specific projects – including open source projects – that focus on data architecture, wireless systems and cloud computing. Here are several of these groups:
- UGent Data Science Lab – Boasts top expertise in machine learning, data mining, data modeling and many other aspects of big data, networking and storage along the entire data value chain.
- AIOLOS (UGent) – An open-source development project that links mobile devices and the cloud.
- IBCN (UGent) – Internet-based Communication Networks and Services research group take a multidisciplinary approach to studying network modeling, design and evaluation, mobile & wireless networking, autonomic computing and networking, and more.
- WAVES (UGent) – the Wireless, Acoustics, Environment & Expert Systems group performs cutting-edge research in wireless networking, smart cities, sensing, factories of the future and more.
- STADIUS (KU Leuven) – Contributes to the development of improved digital systems through the use of advanced modeling techniques.
- ES&S (KU Leuven) – Combines platforms (including cloud platforms) through flexible software services.
- Scientific Computing (KU Leuven) – Focuses on the development of approaches to large-scale simulation, including high-performance computing, dynamical systems and point cloud processing.
- VUB STAR.lab (VUB) – Focuses on researching databases and semantics for application in real-life situations.
- Databases and Theoretical Computer Science (UHasselt) – An academic research group that zeroes in on high-level database design and advanced applications of theoretical computer science.
Sizing Servers Lab (Howest) – Located at the university college of Howest in Kortrijk, this independent research lab provides training and concrete recommendations for ICT administrators and managers. In doing so, the Sizing Servers Lab primarily conducts research on new media and novel communication technologies.
These groups, coalitions and organizations help foster promising innovation and encourage knowledge-sharing across the many areas of ICT development, including cloud computing.
- VLAIO – Flanders Innovation & Entrepreneurship provides funding, advice, support and networking services to innovative companies in network tech areas.
- Sirris – A network driver covering various fields of industry-related ICT, Sirris explores the applications of new networking solutions to enable Industry 4.0.
- Agoria – An innovation-focused federation that helps drive the technological industry forward.