Home to Europe’s largest petrochemical cluster. Number one in the world when it comes to sales of chemicals and plastics per capita. The main location of 10 out of the world’s top 20 chemical companies… There are many ways to describe how Flanders and the chemical industry are a definite match, and they all involve well-deserved superlatives. But you shouldn’t just take our word for it: feel the chemistry for yourself and discover how your business can benefit from it.
You are here
The chemical industry in Flanders
- 10% of all employment in Flanders
- ±50%of all R&D expenditure in Flanders
- 30%of all industrial investments in Belgium
- 32.1%of Flanders’ exports
Flanders’ chemical business and knowledge ecosystem generates numerous opportunities for your chemical business. Some major local players and go-to organizations in the field include Catalisti, BlueChem, Blue Gate Antwerp and essenscia Flanders.
Flanders is located at the heart of the Antwerp-Rotterdam-Rhine-Ruhr Area (ARRRA) – Europe’s strongest industrial mega-cluster. Through a dense network of roads, railways, inland waterways and pipelines, the region connects your chemical business to the major European industrial centers, with 80% of Europe’s purchasing power located within a radius of 800 km.
Companies with or deciding to set up their activities or headquarters in Flanders can reap the rewards of:
- various government grants and subsidies for transformation, ecological, R&D and growth investments;
- unique tax incentives for various types of business activities and investments;
- a set of employment subsidies to further reduce your salary costs as well as fiscal remuneration advantages;
- a number of funding options to help you get off the ground.
Flanders offers several incentives that are particularly relevant to research-intensive sectors like the chemical industry. Examples include:
- Investment deduction for R&D – 13.5% of acquisition value/qualifying asset or 20.5% of the depreciated amount;
- Exemption of payment of 80% – of the personal income withholding tax of researchers in certain scientific fields.
Flanders offers specific education and training programs to foster promising talent in the chemical sector.
- … Flanders represents 70% of the chemical industry in Belgium?
- … Belgium is the #1 chemical country in the world when it comes to sales of chemicals and plastics per capita?
- … Belgium is one of the 8 countries that together account for 90% of the production of chemicals in Europe?
- … 80% of Flanders’ chemical production is destined for export?
- … Flanders’ chemical sector represents more than half of all the R&D expenditures in the region’s private sector?