Skip to main content

You are here

IMEC reports 15% rise

IMEC, the Flemish semiconductor specialist, has reported a 15% rise in its annual contract income for 2002, despite a poor global business environment in the sector. The result is being attributed to the organization’s business model for cooperative research, in which costs, talent, risks and intellectual properties are shared.


The rise took IMEC’s contract revenue to nearly 105 million euro, some 76% of its total budget of 138 million euro, with the remaining 24% deriving from a Flemish Government research grant. International contract revenue increased in 2002 by 25.5% to 50.2 million euro, while at home IMEC had around 100 contracts with businesses in the Flemish region.

Based in the university city of Leuven, IMEC was founded in 1984 and is now Europe's largest independent research center in the field of microelectronics, nanotechnology, enabling design methods and technologies for ICT systems.

The organization continued to build its technology portfolio last year, with its own intellectual property rights as a basis for cooperation with industrial partners. The scientific results show strong growth in the number of patents filed (43) as well as more than 1,150 scientific publications and conference proceedings. More than half of this was realized in cooperation with Flemish universities.

Globally, IMEC has strengthened its position, in part due to an intensification of its efforts on the Japanese market. These efforts have led to some important new contracts with Japanese businesses, including Matsushita.

Reported by
FIT
29 April 2003

More news about Flanders?

  • Regular updates
  • No spam

Interested in doing business in Flanders?

Let us help you!

  • We can introduce you to other companies, banks and regulators
  • We organize site visits to real estate locations
  • We assist with all legal aspects of setting up a business
  • We're an official government agency
  • Our services are completely free
  • We are a team of international experts

Receive our handbook to growing your business in Flanders

  • It's completely free.
  • Get an overview of all incentives relevant to your company.
  • Tax system explained in-depth.
  • Learn how to set up your business quickly.
  • Discover the benefits of Flanders (in addition to the chocolate).

In addition to the ebook, I agree to receive one or two follow-up emails

IMEC reports 15% rise | Invest In Flanders

Error

Error message

  • Migration FitInvestCountries could not be constructed.
  • sFTP login failed
The website encountered an unexpected error. Please try again later.