The universities of Flanders represent the first pillar of the higher education system, and play a major role in the output of R&D in Flanders. The region’s 5 universities generate almost 90% of all of the non-private scientific output of Flanders.
These 5 universities are:
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (KU Leuven),
- Universiteit Gent (UGent),
- Universiteit Antwerpen (UAntwerpen),
- Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB),
- Universiteit Hasselt (UHasselt).
Public funding for the universities originates from 3 budgetary flows: a basic allowance, support granted on a competitive basis, and a variety of project-based sources.