Knowledge attracts growth, and growth boosts knowledge. Find out how your business will benefit from the close proximity of top-notch strategic research centers (strategische onderzoekscentra or SOCs) in Flanders.
You are here
Flanders’ world-class research centers and scientific institutes
Imec is a unique, world-class research center in the field of nanoelectronics, and boasts high expertise in software and ICT. It uses this knowledge to develop disruptive technologies and solutions in application areas such as health, smart cities and mobility, logistics and manufacturing, and energy.
In February 2016, imec joined forces with iMinds, center for digital innovation.
As a leading reference in biotechnology, VIB works closely with Flanders’ universities and is known worldwide for its breakthroughs in life sciences research.
Energy, materials and environmental and terrestrial observation are VITO’s areas of expertise. This research institute is dedicated to developing technological solutions to real industry problems and providing expert advice.
One of the world’s key manufacturing research organizations and expert in production technology, Flanders Make aims to transform manufacturing in four specific technology domains.
In addition to the universities, businesses, research centers, hospitals and R&D centers in Flanders, a wide variety of diverse scientific institutes are headquartered in the region. These include:
- Institute for Agricultural and Fisheries Research (ILVO)
- Research Institute for Nature and Forests (INBO)
- Royal Museum of Fine Arts Antwerp
- Agency for Archaeological Heritage
- Botanic Garden Meise
- Institute for Tropical Medicine (ITM)
- Flanders Marine Institute (VLIZ)
- Centre for Research and Conservation (CRC)
- Neuro-electronics Research Flanders (NERF)
- The Flemish Biobank Initiative (formerly CMI)
- Microsoft Innovation Centre Flanders (MIC Vlaanderen)
- Research center for Nuclear Energy (SCK)