Flanders is responsible for the vast majority of exports of Belgium as a whole, one of the world’s top 15 exporting countries. Its exports far surpass the figures for the regions of Wallonia and Brussels – with chemicals, mineral products, equipment, electronics and pharmaceuticals topping the list of Flanders’ most important export sectors.
Discover the most recent facts and figures on Flanders’ exports.
Top 10 export destinations in 2015
Overall, Flanders specializes in the international trade of:
- chemical and pharmaceutical products,
- labor-intensive products (like diamond), and
- capital-intensive goods (including vehicles).
Based on the data gathered about the international import and export flows of Flanders, several trends emerge that provide insight into the Flanders’ economy, now and in the future:
- While still new to the market of complex research-intensive goods, Flanders is expected to become more and more competitive in this sector in the coming years.
- Flanders’ exports to the Asian Tigers continues to grow since 2008.
- Flanders is oriented towards exportation to EU countries, an advantage in the global market as growth in emerging markets slows.
- The start-up and development of young exporting companies in Flanders is highly-supported.
- Diversification of the region’s exportation palette will continue to result in growth, with companies focusing on high-tech niche segments.