General policy on the processing and protection of personal data
Flanders Investment & Trade
Koning Albert II-laan 37, 1030 Brussels, Belgium
Who processes your personal data?
FIT processes your personal data. In this privacy notice, we use the pronoun “we” to refer to FIT. FIT is responsible for the processing of your personal data for the purposes described within this privacy notice. We only process personal data and allow personal data to be processed when necessary for the tasks assigned to us. This is done in compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and provisions of the federal and Flemish regulations governing the protection of natural persons in the processing of personal data.
If you have any questions, complaints, suggestions, or inquiries regarding your personal rights or the processing of your personal data, you can contact our data protection officer (DPO) at any time by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
When is personal data processed?
We collect and process your personal data after you have requested one of our services or contact us concerning the services we provide. In other cases, we may process your personal data when you ask general questions. It is possible that the government, without you taking action, implements a decree or arrangement which requires us to process your personal data.
Which personal data does FIT process?
Personal data is any data that identifies or relates to you as a natural person. In light of this, FIT processes:
- identification and contact details;
- data related to your profession and/or function;
- data related to social media you use;
- data related to your areas of interest (location, domain, topics);
- authentication data;
- digital cookies;
- telephone calls (via our call center).
How do we collect and process your personal data?
We use three methods to collect your personal data:
- We retrieve your personal data directly from our forms or documents which are attached to webpages, emails, or by other means. Those documents may be required by regulation.
- We collect your personal data through digital cookies.
- We may request personal data from other government agencies or organizations that already have this data. In doing so, we always comply with regulations governing the protection of natural persons in processing their personal data as defined on the European, federal or Flemish level. As such, we have established formal authorizations to request personal data from other governmental organizations.
Why do we process personal data?
We process your personal data to provide you with the services you request, specifically, but not limited to:
- promoting your business to third parties;
- managing your profile;
- providing personal assistance to you as a customer and contacting you for this purpose;
- delivering newsletters for which you have subscribed (based upon your consent);
- inviting you to events and trade missions organized by FIT (‘e-mail-alert’) (based upon your consent);
- delivering the Wereldwijs-magazine (based upon your consent);
- handling your application for subsidies;
- handling your request for advice;
- managing your participation in our actions;
- delivering your personal data to our partners;
- managing your complaints;
- improving your website experience;
- identifying you online and targeting you on other channels (based upon your consent);
- improving the quality of our telephone calls (via our call center);
Description of FIT services
In some cases, regulations directly require and impose the processing of personal data. In the case of FIT, this concerns tasks as described in the following founding decree:
We may process personal data for non-regulated tasks if you have given your explicit consent, if the processing results from an agreement you have made or if we have a legitimate interest in doing so. In each specific case, we explicitly state the grounds on which we process personal data.
How long do we retain your personal data?
FIT is committed to retaining your personal data no longer than necessary. Personal data related to your MyFIT-profile is deleted or fully anonymized if you decide to remove your profile.
Telephone calls recorded for the purpose of quality improvement will be retained for 12 months at most.
Do we share your personal data with others?
First, your personal data will be processed by FIT and its employees only.
Second, only in those cases requested by you, data concerning your business or related people will be shared with relevant third parties. FIT enforces a strict policy stipulating that such data is only exchanged when in line with our tasks and objectives.
Last, FIT may rely on third parties for specific services. These third parties must comply with strict rules when processing any of your personal data, and only process personal data necessary to perform their task. This includes, e.g. event agencies that support us in organizing our events. These service providers only receive the personal data needed to deliver the services we have requested. For example, this may concern contact and identification details needed to manage your attendance of an event.
Is your personal data being transferred outside the EU?
FIT does not intend to transfer your personal data to third parties outside the European Union.
As stated above, depending on your demand, we may provide your data to relevant parties both inside and outside the European Union. FIT does this only in your interests and the interests of your organization.
For more details about how this works, contact our data protection officer:
What are your rights?
FIT provides full transparency on the processing of your personal data and takes all reasonable steps to assure the quality and accuracy of your personal data. As an individual, you have the right to:
- access your personal data;
- transfer your personal data;
- adjust or complete your personal data when false or incomplete;
- temporarily or permanently restrict the processing of your personal data (including the withdrawal of your consent);
- request the deletion of your personal data.
If your personal data is processed in the public interest, you can at any moment oppose its processing. We then consider whether your individual interest outweighs the general interest targeted through the processing activity. If we cannot, or may not, process your data any further, we may not be able to manage your attendance of an event and your participation may become impossible.
You can, at any time, contact our DPO via firstname.lastname@example.org. To respect confidentiality rights, we kindly ask you to provide evidence of your identity.
You can also contact this department if you consider your personal data no longer relevant and want it to be deleted. FIT retains the right to determine whether your request is legitimate. Above all, FIT may in have to comply with retention periods required by law, which would prohibit us from granting your request for the deletion of personal data. In such an event, FIT will evaluate which portion of your personal data can be deleted, and inform you about its decision.
If you do not agree with our way of processing your personal data, you can contact our data protection officer (DPO) at email@example.com, or file a complaint with the competent supervisory authority (see contact details below).
How is your personal data protected?
FIT does its utmost to continuously guarantee the availability, confidentiality and integrity of your personal data. FIT therefore takes appropriate measures to protect such data. This includes the careful selection and strict limitation of the number of employees with access to your data.
Moreover, impact on privacy is analyzed extensively to guarantee your rights, as well as the security and protection of your personal data. If an unexpected incident occurs leading to a breach affecting your personal data, FIT will notify you while taking into account the retention period required by law.
This version was last amended and approved on February 15th, 2019.
FIT contact details
Flanders Investment & Trade
Koning Albert II-laan 37
Contact details of Data Protection Authority (supervisory authority)
FIT believes it is important that you should be able to view, listen, read or experience its content anywhere and at any time over various media platforms. FIT also aims to deliver interactive services and services tailored to your needs. FIT online services use software to make this possible, mechanisms involving cookies and scripts, for example. For the sake of simplicity, these mechanisms are referred to as “cookies”.
What exactly are cookies?
Cookies are small data or text files that are stored on your computer or mobile device when you visit a website or use a (mobile) application. The cookie file contains a unique code which is used to identify your browser during the visit to the online service or during successive, repeated visits. Cookies can be placed by the server of the website or application that you visit, but also by third-party servers that may or may not work with this website or application.
Cookies generally facilitate and speed up the interaction between the visitor and the website or application, and help the visitor navigate between the different sections of a website or application.
Which cookies do we use?
- Essential cookies: they are necessary for the proper functioning of the website and cannot be disabled in our systems. They are usually placed only in response to certain actions taken by you, for example a request for a service, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling out a form. Without these cookies, we cannot provide access to some sections of our website or supply the requested service.
- Functional cookies: they enable the website to offer improved functionality and personalization, such as storing the user’s choices, preferred language or location. They are placed by us or on our behalf by processors. If you don’t allow these cookies, this may hamper the performance of some or all of the services.
- Analytical cookies: they make it possible to count the number of visitors and traffic sources which in turn allows us to measure and improve our website performance. With these cookies, we know which pages are the most and least popular and we can see how visitors navigate through the website. All the data collected by these cookies is aggregated and is therefore anonymous. If you don’t allow these cookies, we won’t know when you have visited our website and won’t be able to measure the performance.
- Advertising cookies: they may be placed by us or by our advertising partners. They are used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and display relevant advertisements relating to the services of FIT on other websites. They do not directly store personal data. Rather, they use the unique identification data of your browser and device. If you disable these cookies, you will see less targeted advertisements on third channels.
You can configure your browser settings to disable the installation of cookies. You can also delete cookies already installed on your computer or mobile device at any time. Proceed as follows:
- Internet Explorer: https://support.microsoft.com/nl-be/help/17479/windows-internet-explorer...
- Chrome: http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=nl&answer=95647
- Firefox: http://support.mozilla.org/nl/kb/cookies-in-en-uitschakelen-websites-voo...
- Safari: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH5042
If you disable cookies, you should bear in mind that certain graphic elements may not look nice, or that you may not be able to use certain applications. You will find below a detailed list of all the types of cookies used by FIT on its websites.
|Name||Purpose||Website||Cookie(s) placed by||Recipients of the data||Validity|
|voganonuser||Monitor digital communication||www.flandersinvestmentandtrade.be||Flanders Government||FIT, Flanders Government||During the session|
|ABTasty||Monitor test data||www.flandersinvestmentandtrade.be||ABTasty||FIT||13 months|
|ABTastySession||Identify single sessions||www.flandersinvestmentandtrade.be||ABTasty||FIT||During the session|
|_ga||Monitor website use||www.flandersinvestmentandtrade.be||FIT, Google||2 years|
|_gid||Monitor website use||www.flandersinvestmentandtrade.be||FIT, Google||2 years|
|_gat||Monitor website use||www.flandersinvestmentandtrade.be||FIT, Google||2 years|
|_gaClientID||Monitor website use||www.flandersinvestmentandtrade.be||FIT, Google||2 years|
|_hjIncludedInSample||Analyze website use||www.flandersinvestmentandtrade.be||FIT, Google||1 year|
|_fbp||Target advertising||www.flandersinvestmentandtrade.be||FIT, Facebook||1 day|
|fr||Target advertising||www.flandersinvestmentandtrade.be||FIT, Facebook||3 months|
|IDE||Target advertising||www.flandersinvestmentandtrade.be||FIT, Google||18 months|
|R/collect||Target advertising||www.flandersinvestmentandtrade.be||FIT, Google||During the session|
|BizoID||Monitor website use||www.flandersinvestmentandtrade.be||FIT, LinkedIn||< 1 year|
|UserMatchHistory||Monitor website use||www.flandersinvestmentandtrade.be||FIT, LinkedIn||< 1 year|
|Bcookie||Monitor website use||www.flandersinvestmentandtrade.be||FIT, LinkedIn||< 1 year|
|Bscookie||Monitor website use||www.flandersinvestmentandtrade.be||FIT, LinkedIn||< 1 year|
|Lang||Monitor website use||www.flandersinvestmentandtrade.be||FIT, LinkedIn||< 1 year|
|lidc||Monitor website use||www.flandersinvestmentandtrade.be||FIT, LinkedIn||< 1 year|
FIT contact details
Flanders Investment & Trade
Koning Albert II-laan 37
Contact details of Data Protection Authority